BannerFans.com

Friday, October 14, 2011

How to replace A/C Recirculation Actuator on Chevy Cobalt?


Recirculation Actuator


Removal & Installation


  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Remove the fuse labeled HVAC CTRL (BATT).
  3. Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
  4. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), disarming the system.

    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Remove the armrest bolts and the floor console armrest


    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Expanded view of the front floor console with cup holder, trim plates, & floor console extension
  5. Remove the armrest, if equipped:
    1. Remove the 2 armrest bolts (1) and the floor console armrest (2).
    2. Pull the parking brake lever up to allow clearance and remove the console rear trim plate.
    3. Remove the console front trim plate.
    4. Remove the front floor console rear cup holder fastened with 3 clip retainers.
    5. Remove the console side extensions.

      Click image to see an enlarged view
      Fig. Remove the console mounting screws (1) & the front floor console assembly (2)
  6. Remove the console mounting screws (1) and the front floor console assembly (2).
    NOTE
    Disconnect the electrical connector.



    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Remove the Instrument Panel (I/P) compartment (1)
  7. Remove the Instrument Panel (I/P) compartment (1).
    NOTE
    Remove the dampener cable.



    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Remove the Instrument Panel (I/P) trim plate assembly (1) by pulling out on the trim panel to release the retaining fasteners (2)
  8. Remove the I/P trim plate assembly (1) by pulling out on the trim panel to release the retaining fasteners (2).

    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Remove the driver information display switch I/P trim plate (1) by releasing the retaining fasteners (2)
  9. Tilt the steering wheel up.
  10. Release the left-hand I/P trim plate assembly by pulling away from the I/P retainer.
  11. Disconnect the electrical connector.
  12. Remove the driver information display switch I/P trim plate (1) releasing the retaining fasteners (2).

    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Remove the left side I/P trim panel trim (1) by releasing the retaining clips (2)
  13. Remove the left side I/P trim panel trim (1) by releasing the retaining clips (2).
  14. Disconnect the I/P dimmer switch and, if equipped, the fog lamp switch.

    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. With a flat-bladed tool, separate the outer trim cover from the Instrument Panel (I/P)
  15. With a flat-bladed tool, separate the outer trim cover from the Instrument Panel (I/P).
  16. Pull the outer trim cover rearward from the I/P to disengage the locating tabs.
  17. Remove the outer trim cover from the I/P.

    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Remove the 4 bezel screws (2) & the Instrument Panel (I/P) cluster bezel assembly (1)
  18. Tilt the steering wheel down.
  19. Remove the 4 bezel screws (2) & the Instrument Panel (I/P) cluster bezel assembly (1).
    CAUTION
    Refer to the Service Precautions under Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System).



    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Remove the Instrument Panel (I/P) passenger side inflatable restraint module
  20. Ensure that the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system has been disarmed. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), disarming the system.
  21. Remove the I/P compartment accessory hole cover (3).
  22. Remove the 2 I/P inflatable restraint module bolts (4).
  23. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) retainer.
  24. Disconnect the electrical connector.
  25. Remove the I/P inflatable restraint module (5).

    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Remove the windshield garnish trim
  26. Remove the windshield garnish trim: trim cover for screw panel assembly front pillar (1), screw for panel assembly front pillar (2), panel assembly front pillar (3), & clip (4).
  27. Disconnect the boost gauge connector, if equipped.

    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Remove the defroster grille assembly
  28. Remove the defroster grille assembly: grille assembly upper trim pad air vent (1), clip retainers (2).
    NOTE
    Pry up on the trim panel in order to release the 8 retaining fasteners.



    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Remove the Instrument Panel (I/P) upper trim panel
  29. Remove the Instrument Panel (I/P) upper trim panel: the 12 I/P trim pad screws (1) & the I/P trim pad assembly (2).
  30. Disconnect the electrical connections.
  31. Lift up to release the I/P top panel from the I/P retainer.

    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Remove the instrument panel retainer assembly
  32. Remove the HVAC air ducts.
  33. Remove the instrument panel retainer assembly (1), 4 retainer bolts (2), 17 retainer screws (3), & 8 retainer nuts (4).

    Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. Disconnect the recirculation actuator electrical connector
  34. Disconnect the recirculation actuator electrical connector.
  35. Remove the recirculation actuator screw.
  36. Remove the recirculation actuator.
To install:

NOTE
The key should be in the OFF position when connecting the electrical connectors to ensure proper calibration.

  1. Install the recirculation actuator. Tighten the screw to 19 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
  2. Connect the recirculation actuator electrical connector.
  3. Install the I/P retainer assembly, 4 retainer bolts, 17 retainer screws, & 8 retainer nuts.
    1. Tighten the 4 I/P retainer bolts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
    2. Tighten 17 I/P retainer screws to 20 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
    3. Tighten the 8 I/P retainer nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  4. Install the HVAC air ducts.
  5. Connect the electrical connections to the I/P upper trim panel.
  6. Install the I/P upper trim panel: the 12 I/P trim pad screws and the I/P trim pad assembly. Tighten the 12 screws to 19 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
  7. Press the defroster grille assembly into position.
  8. Connect the boost gauge connector, if equipped.
  9. Replace the windshield garnish trim. Tighten the screws to 18 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
  10. Place the I/P inflatable restraint module (passenger side) into position.
  11. Connect the electrical connector.
  12. Replace the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) retainer.
  13. Install the 2 I/P inflatable restraint module bolts. Tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  14. Replace the I/P compartment accessory hole cover.
  15. Install the 4 bezel screws (2) & the Instrument Panel (I/P) cluster bezel assembly (1). Tighten the screws to 19 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
  16. Align the outer trim cover locating tabs to the opening in the I/P.
  17. Push the outer trim cover locating tabs into the I/P until fully engaged.
  18. Press the outer trim cover into the I/P until fully secured.
  19. Install or connect the following:

    The dimmer switch and, if equipped, the fog lamp switch to the left side I/P trim panel
    The left side I/P trim panel pressing in the retaining clips
    The driver information display switch I/P trim plate electrical connector and press the retaining fasteners into position
    The right side I/P trim panel pressing the retaining fasteners into position
    The I/P compartment
    The electrical connector for the front floor console assembly
    The console mounting screws and the front floor console assembly. Tighten the screws to 18 inch lbs. (2 Nm)
    The console side extensions, front floor console rear cup holder, front and rear trim plates by pressing them into position
    The floor console armrest, if equipped, and the 2 armrest bolts. Tighten to 80 lb in (9 Nm).
  20. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), arming the system.
  21. Install the fuse labeled HVAC CTRL (BATT).
    WARNING
    Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control assembly while the HVAC control assembly and actuators are calibrating. If interrupted improper HVAC performance will result.
  22. Start the engine and let run for one minute.


No comments:

Post a Comment